Thursday, August 2, 2012

Practical Classes in Dushanbe

Yesterday we went to the Hovlono masjid (mosque) before morning classes via chartered public bus. I thought it would be a quieter day at the masjid, but it turns out that Wednesdays are the day women are allowed in, so it was very busy. There was a courtyard, a garden, a pool with fish and a fountain, a sepulchre, and many other things. Also, there were very old trees scattered about; one of the trees was over 800 years old! It was a very interesting and serene place, and I spent a good amount of time wandering by myself. I also got a chance to talk with a couple locals and ask questions, and learned a few new words, which was fun. Afterward, we had regular class, then did work in the computer room, and went home. Our host mother told us we were late because our neighboring CLI students had returned earlier. We didn't bother to tell her the reason they went home right after class was because they were hungover. However, I am trying to think of the best way to tell them that we don't plan on returning to the house right after class. That's for children. Suggestions?

Last night I slept a lot; I think between being up late on Tuesday night and the heat yesterday I was pretty beat. This morning Nick wasn't feeling well, so I left him at home and came early to the school to use the internet, only to find it hadn't been turned on yet. I think they have a pay-as-you-go plan, but I don't know why they don't have it set up from before we arrive until well after we leave, because this touch-and-go is messing with my schedule. I wouldn't be as bothered by it if I didn't find out that they bought new computers with the money we paid to come here. Soooooo...there's that.

Today my amazingly wonderful professor Sorayo took us to the bazaar for another practical class. We went shopping for material so I can get some pants made. First, I found some material I wanted; then, we went to a seamstress, who measured me and told me how much to buy; then, we went back to the material store and bought it (80C; about $16); finally, we returned to the seamstress. I told her how I want my pockets and where, and how I wanted my cuffs, and how tight I want the pants, and everything. It was really interesting to talk about getting clothing made in Tajiki, and Sorayo was very helpful in haggling. She got the price down for me on a couple things, which was really fun to hear, and now I know exactly how to ask for a takfif!

Afterward, we went to a really expensive exercise clothing store, where we bought nothing, and we continued on to a small side street. I bought an RC (it's all over the place; if you want Coke or Pepsi you have to look hard, but RC with REAL SUGAR is everywhere!) and then we found a bookstore. I bought the first book in Farsi I could find, because it was the only book in Farsi they had. I've found here that they don't sell many books in Farsi at all. However, I will continue my search.

After the exercise store (we found a few others later in the day) we went to a carpet store where we encountered some expensive but very beautiful carpets. They were so expensive because, according to Sorayo, they were very old, and hand-made. I wish I could have taken some pictures; when I return, I will be sure to take my camera.

After lunch, we went to the Sadriddin Ayni Museum, which seemed to be located in a former house. It was really interesting and we were allowed to take a bunch of pictures of the house and the works inside. Most of it was in Tajiki, which I am able to read better now, and some of it was in Farsi. The groundskeeper asked me if I have time to come back tomorrow to read some of his work in Farsi; I think she was surprised that someone in our group wasn't speaking English and had heard of Ayni before we arrived in the country. At any rate, I would like to see some of his original works, so I got the number of the museum and said I would call before I head over. I mean, think about that. ORIGINAL WORKS. Yes, please.

That's it for now! Hopefully, I will convince my host family I'm a big boy so they stop asking me why I get home late. Example:

"Why are you so late?"
"We had work to do!"
"The other students went home earlier!"
"The other students are lame."
<group laughter>

At least we can laugh about it!

P.S. The pants will be 100C to make, which makes the total 180C. Anybody know a tailor stateside that will make pants fitted to you for $36?

2 comments:

  1. I guess there's no way I can get you cash for a rug, is there? If only the local hawala networks extended to Tripoli...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha probably not, but if you get the money here I will send it.

    ReplyDelete