Friday, August 17, 2012

Bazaare Korvon (Or: When I Finally Started Paying Local Prices For My Merchandise With Minimal Effort)

Since we didn't have official class on Wednesday, the professors gave us choices as to what we could do. We were offered a trip back to Korvon, a movie, or time to study for the exams. I opted for a trip back to Korvon to pick up a few more souvenirs. We went in a mashuka (a car that runs along bus lines to specific places for 3C; a taxi ride would cost about 15-20C) and planned on only being there for about an hour. We ended up staying for over three and I bought so much stuff I had to buy another bag!

Before we actually got in, I bought a pair of sunglasses (I broke my spare set at Varzob; very sad). I chatted with the seller for a while about why we'd come, and what the US was like. After a bit, I asked him how much for the glasses. The seller told me they were 20, but I told him I could do twelve. He was shocked that I spoke Tajiki and not Russian, and that I asked for a discount in Tajiki, and told me that because I was an honored guest he could do 15. Because the group was waiting for me, I went ahead and bought them. We shook hands and he thanked me for telling him about the US.

The group started at a jewelry and bag shop. I saw a few small mirrors that I liked, and I asked how much they would be. The first woman worked exclusively in jewelry, so she sent me another older woman to help. I found out they were 20 each, but she said she could do 15 for me because I was a visitor. I looked at about ten, trying to find one without any blemished. In the end I got two, and asked Surayyo whether it was a good purchase. She looked at them, and asked me twice how much I paid. She was surprised that I got such a good discount without having to ask for it! At this point, I felt pretty good.

Next we visited a carpetseller, who was a teenaged boy. Surayyo told us that we were required to do all of the talking and haggling as our "final class." I liked a few of them and decided to ask about them. He quoted me 40C for each; they were all beautifully crafted prayer rugs. I told him that I could do 30, which got no response. We chatted for a while, and I had him pull out various colors. Eventually, I decided on three of them, and asked how much for all three. He said 120. I started laughing and said, "There's no discount! I'm buying three." He quoted me 110. I looked at Surayyo, who just grinned at me and said, "It's your choice." I told him I could do 90, to which he replied 100 for all three. I hemmed and hawed, and said I really needed to do 90. He told me 95 was as low as he could go. I thought about it for a minute, and agreed, after which Surayyo used the price I was quoted and bought two for herself at the same rate. After we left, she told me I had found a very good price and that the rugs were great quality for that price. I was ecstatic.

Afterward, I bought a few other things, including a bag for all my stuff. I gave the bagseller a hard time because each bag had something wrong with it, but in the end I found a very good one and got him to drop the price 20%. After that, we went across the street to look at floor rugs. I found a style I wanted, and asked for the owner. The owner came out, we greeted, and then I asked about a specific style and color of rug, which I didn't see and I wasn't sure if they had. He asked Mark and me to come with him, and he took us upstairs to the actual warehouse shop. There were rows upon rows of carpets, and in various rooms there were women weaving and finishing carpets. I found one which was exactly what I wanted, and I had them hold it out while I inspected. We talked about the price, agreed upon it, I paid, and we left. Mark and I met up with the ladies and we caught two cabs back to the university. Once we got back to the school, I unrolled it and both Surayyo and Layli admired it and asked how much. They were really happy about how much I paid, and Surayyo told me I'd had a great day at the bazaar. When I got home and showed my host family, they said the same thing. It was the first time Sharif didn't ask why I didn't get something cheaper! All in all, I was very happy with my purchases, and I finally got all of the souvenirs I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment