Friday, August 17, 2012

Exams Are Over: The Interview for Tajikistan Television

Wednesday night Nikruz and I gave our present to our family. We got some pictures of the five "kids," bought a frame, had them printed, and gave them the set with the best picture framed. Shahnoza was extremely happy with it, and Sharif said we'd done a good job.

Afterward we went to the final party, which we all thought was funny since we hadn't had exams yet. The food was pretty good, and we got our certificates and flowers (which we gave to Shahnoza when we got back), but the really great part was the dancing. Sharif ended up coming even though he'd said he was tired, and he forced Nikruz and me to dance. We all had a great time singing, dancing, and eating. Nikruz and I also recited some poetry, which went over incredibly well.

Thursday, we had our written exam. Before it actually started, Surayyo told us that there would be a news crew at the school on Friday to interview any students that wanted. The program is designed to give people here an idea of what foreign students are doing and what they think about Tajikistan and Dushanbe. Azim came in and said the same thing, and asked who wanted to be interviewed. Since we were taking an exam, I said I was not sure and would tell them later, and went back to work.

After the exam, Surayyo came up to me in the computer room and asked if I would be willing to share the poem with the news crew. She said that everyone was talking about the poem after the party, and how much they liked it. I don't think she was trying to butter me up, but at any rate, it worked, and I agreed.

Last night we hung out in Sadbarg park for a few hours. We ended up talking with a few random kids who were roaming around, and got some looks, but for the most part people left us alone. It was the first time in public in the city where I felt like people weren't concerned at all about us. I really enjoyed not being stared at.

This morning, we came in for our unofficial OPI exams. However, the TV crew showed up early, so we did interviews first. Jamie, being in the 3rd year Tajik class, went first; I went second. I talked about the trips that we've taken, and my general experience with my family and the people here. He asked me what my favorite part of Tajikistan was, but I misheard the question, so I recited Nader Naderpour. Afterward, he asked the same question, which I answered correctly, and then we finished my part. I asked if I should do it again, but they said it was great and they could edit it if necessary. After everyone finished, the interviewer asked for my email and gave me his, and said we should keep in contact before I leave because they may be doing another interview this weekend. I told him I'd be happy to do so.

Finally, I had my OPI with Azim. He said that since I am third year we were going to skip all the easy questions, so he asked me what got me started in Persian. I talked about my buddy Majeed starting Persian freshman year, and how we had this elaborate plan to be in the second year Persian class together junior year. (That didn't happen.) Afterward, we talked about my professors, and where I go to school. We chatted for a while about whether I think heritage speakers of a language should be in a class with non-heritage speakers (it depends). We finished with him inviting me to his house for Eid, and offering recommendations and references for any programs I may do in the future. It was a very nice end to the program, and I am glad I got the chance to spend time just speaking with the program director in the target language. I felt very comfortable during the interview, which I think is a good sign.

Tonight, Nikruz and I are making dinner for our family as his last hurrah. Tomorrow, I am solo in the house. I am looking forward to Eid, but I am also looking forward to sleeping a lot.

Nikruz, doqoluyeman, I will miss you.

2 comments: