Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Ruze dovom - Day Two!

We've found a teahouse! It's a great place to study and it's within walking distance of campus and of the house. I am finding my way around the city very easily and have found I am able to both get around and negotiate with sellers. All of the time spent in class practicing is kicking in, and the people here are both very surprised and very happy to speak Persian with me. I do have to explain sometimes that I don't speak Tajiki but everyone has been incredibly accomodating.

Since I don't have as much time on here as I thought I might today, I will give a couple quick stories and then leave the rest for (hopefully!) tomorrow.

The cabbie we found yesterday goes by the name of "Jackie Number 1."  Not Jackie, not Jack - Jackie Number 1. He is the most ridiculous cab driver I have ever met. We were looking for a hookah house and went to a hotel, but it wasn't there. Jackie Number One, however, was, and he kept trying to get us in his cab. Finally, we agreed, and it was the best decision we've made here thus far. Not only are his rates great, he is very entertaining and full of knowledge of the city. He showed us pictures of all his other customers from around the world. He also kept having arguments in multiple languages with other drivers. We will definitely be using him again.

Last night we couldn't find the number for Jill's home family, and she couldn't remember how to get back home, so she had dinner with us at our host family's place. Our host father explained why we use the right hand and not the left, and that we need to exercise in order to be in good health. It was a really great experience and Sharif is a great host, as is Shahnova, who made RIDICULOUSLY good food. I look forward to lots more meals and other experiences. Now, I must have dinner, so I bid you adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment